Thursday, February 2, 2012

{pretty, happy, funny, real} living room inspiration

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~
Brought to you by Like Mother, Like Daughter


Last week I showed my struggle with the living room decor, but this week I wanted to post the things I have that I consider my inspiration for the room (and adjoining music room/library) and a future palette. The overall effect I'd like to have in these rooms is a mix of comfort and elegance. I'd like the rooms to be warm, soft and inviting, and of course, child friendly!

{pretty} & {happy}

These are my pretty pictures that hang on the walls.

This used to hang in a cafe in Cannington, Ontario. Now it hangs in my music
room/library!  It's quite large. I love the soft blues and greens and browns.

Here is a close up of one of the gold framed pictures hanging in the living room.
It complements the large picture, I think, in both palette and theme. 

This is the other gold picture. It's a signed reproduction of the original cover of
Anne of Green Gables. (I picked up the frame at a garage sale.) I'm not necessarily
a fan of gold, but the two smaller pictures complement each other nicely. 

And here are some other things that make me happy when I look at them.

Two little mice on a stack of antique books

This is such an interesting ornament. I love birds!

Wool blanket brought back from Scotland

Birchbark container with porcupine quill detail, from my hometown in the Northwest Territories

100th anniversary edition of Anne of Green Gables

An old fashioned world map. I like the colours in it!
Pretty Ikea curtains

A piece of green marble from Martyrs Beach on the island of Iona, Scotland. It is said to have "magical" properties :)













So these are the things that inspire me when I think about what I want my living rooms to be.

I have also joined Pinterest recently (still figuring it out), and started a board with more ideas for living room decor! You can take a look here! 


round button chicken



~lg

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...